- Facebook became available to teens (age 13+) in 2006.
- Instagram was founded in 2010.
- The iPhone 4 was released in 2010. It was the first smartphone with a camera meant for selfies.
- Facebook bought Instagram in 2012, which drastically increased its number of users.
1) Social media usage is more strongly connected to a decrease in mental health among young women than childhood exposure to lead paint is connected to cognitive problems in adults.
- Would you let your child eat lead paint if she complained and whined that she really wanted to?
2) Social media has a bigger effect on the mental health of young women than marijuana usage and binge drinking. Only sleep deprivation has a higher negative impact than social media.
- What would you do if your teenage daughter was using drugs or binge drinking? What lengths would you go to in order to rescue her from that?
3) Social media usage has a network effect. If only one child stops using social media, that child will probably be worse off because of more loneliness and disconnectedness from friends. It takes a whole group of friends dropping social media and acting like normal people to make the whole group improve.
- Would you be willing to speak to the parents of your daughter's friends about this possibility?
- If not, would you consider that maybe your daughter needs new friends?
4) 70 percent of evangelical females ages 15 to 17, and 63 percent of those 18 to 22, refused to say that gay sex was immoral. 17 percent of evangelical women (ages 15 to 44) admitted to having had sexual relations with another female.
- Are you aware that your daughter's social media usage puts her at a drastically increased risk of being drawn away from Christ into a sexually immoral lifestyle?
If your daughter is not growing in the joy of the Lord, then you need to get her off social media and get into her life with the love of Christ.
"There is no such thing as a strong-willed child; there are only weak-willed parents."